International Education




Universities Colleges Schools A-Z Countries Add Your School RECRUIT STUDENTS Contact Student Recruiters

American Collegiate Institute/SEV Elementary School

35290 Goztepe, Izmir, Turkey

Tel: (+90) 232 285 3401/8608

Fax: (+90) 232 246 1674/4128


Web site:


Director- Todd Cuddington

Principal- Anet Gomel

Acting Head- Kenneth Frank

Business Manager- Canturk Candan

SEV Elementary Principal- Nilhan Cubuk

Overseas University Counselor- Cory Miller


Full time:   25 men, 96 women

Part time:   5 men, 14 women

Nationalities:  7   CURRICULUM AND EXAMS:

Curriculum:   National, IB


Age Range: 6-18

Total Enrolment: 1148

Nationalities: 1


530 boys, 586 girls


0 boys, 32 girls

American Collegiate Institute: 495

SEV Elementary School: 653


Day only: US$ 13800-US$ 14600

Boarding: US$ 23600-US$ 24900

The American Collegiate Institute traces its history to 1878. ACI offers a co-educational preparatory program for Turkish students aged 15-18. The primary mission of ACI is the intellectual development of its students through the disciplines of the sciences and humanities; and the social development of its students through a rich program of extra-curricular activities. ACI students select their activities from about 70 clubs, committees, and sports programs. The curriculum is regulated by the Turkish Ministry of Education, but a significant amount of the course work, including science and mathematics, is taught in English. Students graduate and study at leading universities abroad such as Georgetown, Harvard, Stanford, Yale, and Cal-Berkeley as well as at top universities in Turkey. All teachers hold university degrees with about 25% of the teaching staff being international and the remaining 75% Turkish nationals. The school calendar is set by the Turkish Ministry of Education and runs from September to June with a two-week semester break and a one week spring break.

The school campus, with nine major buildings, occupies eleven acres of green space in a surrounding residential neighborhood. Many of the international teachers live in a school-owned apartment building next to the campus.

The school's library is fully automated with video-conferencing simultaneous translation facilities. Students are admitted to ACI through a competitive national examination.

The SEV Elementary School comprises Grades K-8 and was founded in 1997 by the graduates of the American Board Schools, including ACI. The acronym SEV stands for Saglik Ve Egitim Vakfi, or Health and Education Foundation. The Foundation manages all aspects of ACI and the SEV Elementary school. The SEV school is a private co-educational school whose curriculum is regulated by the Ministry of Education. This curriculum is enriched with extra English lessons, extra-curricular activities, plus computer, art, music, and physical education classes. English is the student's second language, and many courses and activities include English to promote an ESL environment. The SEV school is located on the same campus as ACI. Grades 1-5 are located in a state-of-the-art, purpose-built facility with its own library, auditorium, multi-purpose room, cafeteria, and so on. Grades 6-8 are located in a separate building and share educational and recreational facilities with ACI.